Sopo Bicycle Cooperative Volunteer Coordinator
Employment Status: Part time (15-20 hours/week)
Reports to: Board of Directors, HR Committee
Work Schedule: Flexible hours, Evening & Weekend Intensive
The Volunteer Coordinator’s overarching responsibilities are centered around the recruitment, training, cultivation, stewardship, placing and retention of volunteers for the Sopo Shop, special events, and other Sopo related activities. The Volunteer Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining a volunteer roster and recording shop usage statistics. While most duties are expected to be performed off-site, the Volunteer Coordinator is required to attend Sopo’s monthly general meeting every third Monday, the volunteer orientation every fourth Monday, and should have a flexible evening and weekend schedule.
- Develops and implements methods for coordination and retention of volunteers;
- Maintains volunteer sign-in book, volunteer newsletter, volunteer information database (contact, skills, commitment, etc.), and additional volunteer signage at the shop;
- Ensures all programs are fully staffed with volunteers: Open Shop Hours, Gateway Program, Summer Youth program, Charity Bikes, Bike 101 classes, etc.;
- Publicizes volunteer needs for special events;
- Organizes and supervises volunteers for special events (i.e., Artbikes, BHBP);
- Recruits and screens volunteers for appropriate role placement;
- Identifies key volunteer roles and places volunteers in these roles;
- Identifies strong volunteers for shop manager role and other roles;
- Organizes and facilitates monthly new volunteer orientations;
- Provides leadership in volunteer skills development including ongoing training in bike mechanics and other shop skills, Bikes 201, Volunteer Orientation 2.0;
- Maintains regular and timely communication with volunteers and Board of Directors;
- Develops and hosts volunteer appreciation activities
- Screening (interviews, required background checks, etc.) and matching volunteers to organizational needs and opportunities
- Training and orientation for volunteers
- Scheduling and supervision of volunteers
- Volunteer recognition
- Assessing organizational need and capacity for volunteers
- Creating volunteer program materials (policies and procedures, applications, volunteer agreements, orientation handbooks
- Database management and tracking of volunteer statistics
Required Skills and Experience
- 2 years of significant volunteer experience at Sopo (or other local bike advocacy org.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in personnel management
- Deep commitment to Sopo’s values
- Bilingual Spanish/English is a plus
- Ability to multi-task
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a larger staff team
- Familiar with diverse technologies and software (this is especially important at organizations that use the Internet to recruit and/or communicate with volunteers)
- Ability to connect with diverse types of organizations: schools, businesses, government, faith organizations, etc.
- Knowledge of volunteerism and volunteer management practices
- Public speaking/Facilitation skills
- Marketing/Public Relations
Interested applicants should submit a resume with cover letter to email@example.com. The deadline to apply is October 1, 2015. Please do not check on the status of an application prior to that time.
Sopo Bicycle Cooperative provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexuality, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Sopo Bicycle Cooperative complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Sopo Bicycle Cooperative expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.